Protector Of Employee Rights
Seeking justice for employees who have been sexually harassed, discriminated against, wrongfully terminated, denied accommodation for disability or injuries, or retaliated against throughout the state of Florida.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Hostile Work Environment
  4.  » How should an employee report sexual harassment in the workplace?

How should an employee report sexual harassment in the workplace?

When Florida employees experience mistreatment in the workplace, they may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do. It can be intimidating to complain about problems at work, especially those involving sexual harassment. Individuals who experience this type of harassment have the right to speak out about what they experienced and report the issue to human resources, a department that handles employee problems. Unfortunately, many employees are unsure of how to proceed with this process.

Sometimes there is a sense of distrust between a victim of sexual harassment and the human resources department. An HR representative may not know how to appropriately handle the situation, or he or she may not have the power to do anything about it. However, reporting the issue is important. The employee may have to give a written report about what happened, as well as an interview. The HR department may also interview the alleged harasser and witnesses. 

A victim would be wise to learn about the employer’s anti-harassment policy. Preparation can be key to successfully putting an end to sexual harassment and ensuring the appropriate parties are held accountable for what happened. Documenting specific events, writing down the names of witnesses and gathering as much evidence as possible can be useful.

Reporting sexual harassment in the workplace can be frustrating and stressful. A Florida employee who experiences this type of unacceptable treatment will find it beneficial to work with an experienced attorney at every step of the process. It may also be appropriate to pursue damages from an employer through a civil claim.



Set Up A Free Initial Consultation