Protector Of Employee Rights
Seeking justice for employees who have been sexually harassed, discriminated against, wrongfully terminated, denied accommodation for disability or injuries, or retaliated against throughout the state of Florida.
  1. Home
  2.  » How Employers Cheat Employees Out Of Proper Wages

How Employers Cheat Employees Out Of Proper Wages

Under the law, employers are required to strictly adhere to wage and hour laws under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and other Florida state regulations.

They are mandated to pay a certain wage and provide overtime pay over a 40-hour workweek, among other stipulations.

However, there are many exemptions to these requirements. Oftentimes, employers deliberately misclassify employees so they can fall under an exemption category. Such acts are illegal. An employer who wrongfully misclassifies an employee could be liable under the law.

Ways In Which Employers Cheat Employees

Various misclassifications by an employer can include:

  • Classifying an employee as exempt (or salaried) to avoid paying mandatory overtime pay
  • Mandating an employee to perform work off the clock
  • Refusing to pay preparation time that’s essential to a position, such as putting on safety gear
  • Refusing to pay an employee the minimum wage stipulated under state law

Dealing With A Wage Or Overtime Dispute? Contact An Attorney.

If you’re facing an overtime or wage dispute, if your employer has misclassified you as an exempt employee, or if you’re forced to work off the clock, Boynton Beach, Florida, wage and hour attorneys with the Law Office of William M. Julien, P.A., can help you recover damages.

Successful wage and hour claims generally allow an employee to recover double back pay, plus their attorney’s fees and court costs.

Call Today: 888-993-4611

Over 20 years of experience. Free consults are available. No charge until a settlement or judgment is obtained in your case.

If employees in your same situation faced similar issues, you case could be classified as a class action. Contact a lawyer with the firm to find out more.