Our office remains open, and in response to COVID-19 we have expanded our options for remote consultations and virtual meetings. Please contact our office to discuss what meeting option best fits your situation. Call 561-560-7388

Law Office of William M. Julien, P.A.
Contact us for a FREE appointment
E-mail Us

Are you not getting paid for working off the clock?

Does your boss ever ask you to work off the clock? If so, you might not be getting the pay you actually deserve. This tactic is used by some business owners and managers to save money and cheat workers out of their rightful wages. You might be ambitious and want to be a team player, or maybe you want to avoid conflict, but you should be wary if your supervisor requests you to work without payment or proper compensation for overtime

What exactly does working off the clock mean? What should you do if your boss is asking you to do this? Here are some ideas.

Examples of working off the clock

There are a number of situations that may lead to you working without proper pay:

  • Your manager asks you to stay and work after you clock out.
  • Your boss asks you to start work early, before you clock in.
  • You are not paid for preparing the store before a shift. 
  • You are not paid for completing administrative tasks on your own time.

According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, you are entitled to at least the minimum wage and/or overtime pay for such off-the-clock work.

What you can do about it

If you are dealing with requests from your manager or supervisor to do work that is not reported, you should ask him or her about it the next time it happens. Question if you can clock in before you do any additional work. If your manager still insists you should do the work without clocking in, make sure you take notes about the hours you work, and go to the payroll or human resources department if appropriate. 

It is possible that the issue will be resolved internally. Maybe the human resources department simply needs to educate your boss on company policies and laws. But if the problem persists and it turns into a dispute, you should contact an attorney with experience in employment law to ensure you get your due wages. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Set Up A Free Initial Consultation ( Bold labels are required )

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy