Dade County Employment Law Attorney
Unless there is a written contract in place, most employees are presumed to be "employees at will" in the state of Florida. That means that they are free to quit at any time for any reason, and that employers are allowed to fire them for any reason or for no reason at all. There are important exceptions to at-will employment, however, and employers are unable to violate state and federal laws in termination or during the course of employment.
At the Law Office of William M. Julien, P.A., in Boca Raton, we represent employees in wrongful termination cases in Miami and across south Florida. We have more than 15 years of employment law experience and have successfully handled wrongful termination cases for our clients. If you believe you have been the victim of wrongful termination, it is important to assert your rights.
Miami Wrongful Termination Lawyer
In order to evaluate your case, our firm will thoroughly analyze the circumstances of your termination or layoff, and determine whether it was the result of an adverse employment action. Wrongful termination may have occurred if the termination was because of:
- Discrimination against his or her race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status or another protected class
- Filing a workers' comp claim
- Taking medical or family leave guaranteed by the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Blowing the whistle on unlawful activity by the company
- Complaining about discrimination or for supporting others' discrimination claims
- Complaining about safety violations, health concerns or unsafe working conditions
- Filing complaints about unpaid overtime, or other wage and hour issues
- Supporting a union
- The employer wants to avoid unemployment insurance obligations
If you suspect that your firing or layoff may have violated a federal or state law, or that your employer broke a contract that you had, it is important to get a free, initial consultation to discuss your rights. Contact us at the Law Office of William M. Julien and get the personal attention you deserve.
Call to schedule an appointment at 561-995-9990 or toll free at 866-569-7398.